Monday, October 5, 2009

Daily Journal for Tuesday 6th October 2009


GOD'S AMAZING GRACE
S - "But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him " Luke 15:20
O - This parable is highlighting God's joy at the return of a sinner. The son spent all of his father's inheritance on wild living (prostitutes and partying). You probably couldn't get more rebellious or decadent than that! I have been told that to even ask for your share of the inheritance while your father is alive is extremely dishonouring in this culture. Its as if you are saying to your father, "I think of you as already dead!". And now the son returns - ashamedly and humbly. But! The father sees him in the distance and is filled with compassion and runs to him. I am also aware that for a man of this wealth and stature, running, was unbecoming and below his station. Only servants scurried and ran. The more wealthier you are the slower your gait. Its as if God is telling us through this parable that He will do anything, including the extension of costly grace towards us, in order to win us back towards Him. To have God thrust his arms around us and kiss us when we have sinned so deeply is radical and life changing. But the condition is, we have to want to come back!.
A - I continually forget how gracious and forgiving God really is. How often I hold on to my shame and unworthiness and think I can hide it from God when all He want is for me to turn back to Him. I want to continually be aware of my sin and repent and trun to God to recieve His forgiveness.
P - Father, help me to remember your grace and your mercy and your forgiveness in my life. How awesome and amazing is your grace to me. Thank you for being the God that you are in my life. Helps others, through me, to also know the mercy and grace that you have for them I pray. Amen.
Daily Reading Luke Chapters 15&16

No comments:

Post a Comment