Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Attitude Towards The Vulnerable


S - "Some children were brought to Jesus so he could lay hands in them and pray for them. The disciples told them not to bother him" Matthew19:13



O - All through this chapter we see Our Lord instructing us as to how to treat others, particularly those who are the most vulnerable in society (women, and making it more difficult to divorce, and children). Both these groups in Old Testament times, and also today, (perhaps not so much in our developed nations), are the poorest and most vulnerable still. Jesus, unearths a common and deep prejudice against the most vulnerable. They are not to bother him! It seems as if even in Jesus' day, children were often seen as unwanted interruptions to adult endeavours. But radically, Jesus responds with a reply and an action. In the next two verses He says "Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these". And then he put his hands on their heads and blessed them before he left. Matthew 19:13 . What a contrast to the disciples' attitude! Jesus was not only highlighting the importance of children, he was also highlighting how our attitude should be towards them, as well as our attitude towards faith in him. These little children had a guileless faith, and that is how our faith should be. This is in contrast to the Pharisees who were sophisticated and the disciples who were prejudiced. Jesus was "bothered" by those who were less sophisticated, and was "bothered" by the vulnerable. Jesus even "blessed" the children's attitude by laying hands on them. How significant and important he made them feel!


A - I am reminded that not everyone has had the same opportunities, education, family life, and influence that I have. As an educated adult woman, I have been given great privileges; yet Jesus does not really care about that. What he cares about is how I treat those who are more vulnerable than I, and how I trust him. My faith and attitude should be as accepting as little children.
P - Dear Jesus, help me to remain open, accepting, and childlike in my faith. Help me to be a blessings to others who are more vulnerable than I. I love you Jesus. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment