Sunday, September 6, 2009

Balance and Boundaries

7th September 2009
S - "After he had dismissed them, he went up into the hills by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone"
Matthew 14:23
O - Jesus had just spent a full day with large crowd healing the sick. This was immediately after he had heard the news that John the Baptist had been beheaded. There had been no time to grieve. No time to process anything. No time for reflection or for restoration. It seems like now Jesus needed time for himself. He was tired. He also knew when to serve and when to rest. He "dismissed" them, even if perhaps there was more to do. But Jesus seems to know his boundaries. He knew what he needed for refreshment. He went up into the hills (nature seems to always refresh) by himself to pray. These words are so important. After being immersed with people he needed restorative time with his Father on his own. He was also there for some time as evening came and he was still there alone. What a wonderful example to me as to how to keep serving people - even when it seems so full and busy! There is the need for balance and boundaries in solitude, prayer and nature.
A - On my day off I need to be ruthless in ensuring it is not fulled with busyness and people, but with a balance of solitude, rest and nature. This has always restored me, and if Jesus' models this, I must take notice and follow.
P - Dear Jesus, please help me to be more ruthless in balancing my time and providing that boundary of space for extended communion with you in solitude I pray. Amen

2 comments:

  1. Do you think Jesus went away from his disciples for whole days Gail on a regular basis or just from time to time as he sensed the need?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Simon
    Sorry I have not responded before this, this truth is, I have only just realised I could! and how to!. I reckon as we read the gospels Jesus did often remove himself and pray to God regularly, but when it is recorded it seems like there was always something happening. eg. Praying before his crucifixion, after healing many people, after the death of John the Baptist. Not sure if he had a "regular" time, or whether it was when he knew he needed it. I guess either way it is important to follow His example adn spend time in fellowship with God

    ReplyDelete