Sunday, September 20, 2009

Familiarity Breeds Contempt.


S - "Where did this man get these things?"" they asked. "Whats this wisdom that has been given him, that he even does miracles. Isn't this the carpenter? Isn't this Mary's son, and the brother of Jesus, Joses, Judas and Simon? Aren't his sisters here with us?" And they took offense at him". Mark 6:2-4

O - There is so much contrast in this scripture. The acknowledgement by the crowd that Jesus was incredibility wise and incredibly powerful. But Jesus was also only a carpenter. The crowd also knew his family and lineage. Many 0f them would have known him personally. His familiarity bred contempt and incredulity. It was almost as if they were saying, "What right does he have to do these things and say these things?" The people's hearts were hardened. There was conflict between what they saw and heard from Jesus, and what they knew of him. Hardened, prideful hearts could not afford to honour and praise Him. It is too threatening. Familiarity breeds contempt.

A - Oh how much I have to watch my judgements of others. How I need to assign honour when people do well, even if they are familiar to me. How I need to watch I don't become threatened or take offense at the success of others when this may highlight my lack of success.

P - Father, forgive me for the times I have harboured a competitive spirit or taken offense at the success of those I know and love. Help me to always encourage I pray. Amen.
Daily Reading Mark 6&7

No comments:

Post a Comment