Tuesday, September 1, 2009

JESUS’ INFLUENCE – JESUS’ FOCUS


S - "Jesus went throughout Galilee teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people” Matthew 4:23


O – It amazes me first from this scripture that Jesus spent most of his public ministry in the area of Zebulun and Naphtali which is north and west of the Sea of Galilee. This was not the “hub” of political or social life for the Jews. This was more like a regional centre (like Albury / Wodonga on the Hume Weir) – Jesus went “throughout” this area. It strikes me that the local church’s influence in our area is significant and can have eternal consequences if we follow Jesus’ model – he didn’t hanker for greener pastures, he gave his all for his local area.


Focus – 3 fold ministry


Teaching - (in the synagogue)


Preaching - Outdoors to the people


Healing - Every disease and sickness among the people


It seems as if Jesus’ ministry was a ministry of Grace and Truth. Jesus gained credibility because He cared for the people. He entered their world. He was one of them, a local. He was not some big shot who just rode into town and performed some impressive feat and then moved out. His focus on healing was just as significant as his focus on preaching and teaching. This comforts me and reassures me. These three focuses in ministry work hand in hand. You cannot tell someone about the love of Jesus until they have experienced His love from his people.


A – I am going to keep before me Jesus’ influence and focus. I am going to continue to pray for and love this town and the people in it. I am going to continue to exert my influence for Jesus in as many places locally as I can. I am reminded to not minimize or find inconvenient people’s hurts and problems when they present themselves to me.


P – Dear Jesus, Thankyou for your model of your influence and your focus. It is so clear what you call us to do. Help me to love, encourage and speak your truth to those I encounter in my sphere of influence. Amen.


Daily Readings - Matthew 4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment